Old September 16th 04, 04:55 PM
Dave Butler

David Banahan wrote:
When I was young I got my license the week I turned 18. I left flying when
I left my first wife. I would like to resume flying, but want to focus on
IFR simulation (most cost effective) at home training before beginning
actual flight training. Any advice would be appreciated to help me develop
a cost effective way to re-learn to fly. Thanks David

Hi Dave, welcome back.

I'm not much of a sim flyer myself, but I'd think the strength of the sims is
developing your scan and hand-eye coordination, not learning procedures. Perhaps
if you already have a basic knowledge of procedures, you can use the sim to
practice them.

I'd think after a 25-year layoff, your challenge is going to be learning how
procedures have changed in the interim, and I don't see how using the sim is
going to help with that. If you want to do it by self-study to save money, I'd
think you want to spend your time studying the AIM, rather than with a joystick.
Maybe you've already done that, in which case, never mind.

I think there's a risk of practicing wrong procedures with the sim.

Consider also looking at rec.aviation.simulators.

Good luck!

Dave