Old December 9th 03, 10:02 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Chad Irby
writes
In article ,
"Paul J. Adam" wrote:
Actually, the Hog does, if it knows what direction the other guy is
coming from.

First, you're addressing a more "average" scenario than the one I was
talking about (no missiles for the F-15, A-10 ready for the incoming
threat).

Pretty extreme, then...

That's an extremely large "if", given the extensive air-to-air sensor
suite fitted to the A-10...

It's called a "radar warning receiver," and it tells you which direction
you're being radiated from. If the other guy isn't using radar, they're
proabably not going to see you in the weeds at all from any rational
distance.

Are there no AWACS? And does nobody use eyeball-shooter tactics?

I can easily construct highly scenarios where enemy tanks down attaking
Warthogs with accurately-thrown dinnerware, but that doesn't make
cutlery into a generally useful anti-aircraft munition...

Are you keeping your ordnance for this turn? How long does it take to
get the nose pointed at the target while still having time to get that
shot off? (driving your required detection range).

Lots of time, in the case I was originally talking about (F-15s on the
way back from an air-to-air sortie going after an opportune A-10
target). If you allow missiles for the F-15s and no cover for the A-10,
it's a turkey shoot. But we were talking about gun tactics...

I'm reminded of some of Jeff Cooper's rules.

I'm also considering that if you're engaging A-10s, you'd do so to
maximise your strengths and their weaknesses; which among other things
means staying off their nose.

How much airspeed do you have left at the end of it, which has a
serious effect on your ability to escape the wingman?

Not as such, since the only reason you need a lot of energy going into
this sort of fight is to match someone else with a similar weapon. If
you're up against someone who can blow you out of the sky from a mile or
so further out than your weapon can reach, and who can fly below treetop
level for a good part of the engagement, it's a whole different ballgame.

And what happens when you discover the
attacking aircraft was firing a missile, rather than making a gun pass?

Not in this scenario. Sorry you came in late.

If this analysis was accurate, the F-15 and F-22 would be screaming for
27mm or 30mm guns...

...or more bullets.

What's the point of more ammunition, if you can't get into range to use
what you already have?

It's a very narrow scenario, and in this case, the
A-10 isn't the helpless target you seem to want it to be.

You misspelled "is", against any sort of capable air opposition.
Fortunately, the A-10 has always operated under air supremacy and
there's no sign of that changing soon.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill