Old December 10th 03, 07:54 AM
Nele VII

Tony Williams wrote in message ...

Sorry, but I must disagree with you. It may be that some MiG-27s were
fitted with the GSh-6-23, but the GSh-6-30 is the more common fit.
This is from 'Flying Guns: the Modern Era':

lots of good stuff snipped

I have nothig to say but to agree with You and Mr. Gustin. I have been on
Indian military site and they also state GSh-6-30 -only one correction-it is
6,000 RPM, not 5,000 (they were licence-building MiG-27M, so I assume they
know better). However, I have also read about problems with the MiG-27 gun
installation (vibrations!), but that gun was GSh-6-23 (sorry I cannot give
reference, the link is dead). I assume that they've tried '23 gun first,
went on short production, but discarded it for more 'docile' 30 mm gun.

GSh-6-23 is installed in Su-24 Fencer and MiG-31. I am surprised that such a
light and powerful gun was not installed in other figters. Its construction
is ingenious-it requires no external power source (gas-operated!), fires
10-12,000RPM (which probably can be reduced) and have a good ammunition.

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA