Old January 15th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Default Why does the shuttle throttle on ascent?

MichaelJP wrote:

Interesting, what's your source for the Eric Brown story, I'd like to read
more.

Eric Brown wrote a series books about the 487 types of planes he flew
in his career as a test pilot.
The one I have is "Wings of The Luftwaffe"(all the titles have "Wings"
in them).
Each aircraft type has both a cutaway of the whole aircraft, and a
detailed drawing of the cockpit from the pilot's perspective with
everything labeled.
He gives an overview of all the handling characteristics of each type:
http://www.amazon.com/Wings-Luftwaff.../dp/0385135211
In another book, "Wings of the Weird and Wonderful" he actually flew one
of these: http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bv141.html

Pat