Old October 24th 03, 01:56 AM
Yossarian

Glad you had a good flight. Catalina is a fun runway. Out of curiosity
what altitude did you take on the way over?

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
I took a 5 day trip out to California to visit the wife who is commuting
to the left coast every week for a 6 month business project. I wanted to
check out flying into Catalina for a $100 hamburger.

Rented a clean 172 from Benbow Aviation, (I wanted to rent their Archer
since I normally fly an Arrow, but an email mix-up got in the way of
that) and an instructor. The instructor was necessary for a Catalina
checkout since the landing can be tricky with cliffs on both ends of the
runway.

The wife had told me she wouldn't be coming along but was only fooling
and so for the 3rd time in 3 years, went flying with me at the controls.

The trip over was glassy smooth, not a bump to be felt. I hardly needed
to touch anything except to change frequencies. Only a few clouds below
us as we crossed the channel.

We landed on rwy 22 which is the upslope runway and can give you a
pretty good illusion of being too high on final. I was taught to fly a
slightly high glideslope on final, so no problem. I landed with room to
spare, and although it wasn't the smoothest landing, it wasn't the
smoothest runway either.

The burger place is 50 yards from the tiedowns and we bought lunch for
Seth, while we all ate and watched the buffalo wander about the hills.
Buffalo burgers don't seem to taste much different than beef.

Back into the plane and an uphill takeoff from 22, still smooth as glass
in the air. Back to TOA, approaching from the south over PV and the
radar domes. A much better landing this time with a simultaneous stall
horn and chirp of the tires.

I think I did well enough and the air was smooth enough that the wife
will consider going up with me a bit more often.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com