Old June 14th 04, 11:40 AM
Bruce Greeff

Gldcomp wrote:
Exactly, I couldn't agree more, the parachute may save you in many different
situations.
Most of them are not the reason we are required to wear them, otherwise,
power pilots and passengers would be required to wear one too.

BTW, I've never heard of anything like this before with a glass ship :
an elevator folding gracefully onto the fin...

I've flown in front of CBs most of my flying career and never once had to
fly outside the envelope.
But that aside... an elevator folding ?? it probably was damaged before and
not well repaired.

Big snip

By his own admission he was so far past Vne I don't think it appropriate to
consider structural defect. The aircraft was virtually new as I understand it -
and a new design at the time. (so the crash was not reported on the internet.)

The failure mode of most elevators at speeds exceeding Vne will be downwards.

Why he flew close enough to a CB that he was unable to avoid it while remaining
inside the envelope is anybodies guess.