Old May 18th 05, 05:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Guillermo" wrote in message
And that's one of the dangerous things of a magneto system. They are hot
on
their own, unless shorted.

Well, yes and no. I mean, yes...a hot prop can be dangerous, depending on
the engine and airplane.

But compared to the hazard of having a broken wire disable your magneto,
it's a pretty minor danger. The "short the magneto" design is that way for
a reason, and I think most people would agree with that reason.

There are lots of "dangerous things" about airplanes. This just happens to
be one of them, and it's not really that big of a deal as things go.

[...]
If when you do a magneto check you notice NO RPM drop, then either the
grounding is not correct, or the other magneto is not working at all.

Yup. Of course, it's easy enough to determine which it is, when you go to
test the other magneto.

Pete