Old September 6th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Too many accidents

I'm a little concerned about the way the data are displayed geographically. Maybe it's the software but three fatal accidents I'm very familiar with and that are in the NTSB database are missing from the map: two in southwestern OH in 1980-1981 and one in Middletown, NY in 1986.

Yours is a good approach. I'd push back on one conclusion, however: "keep banks to 30 degrees or less in the pattern". Trying to keep the bank angle to a minimum (I know you didn't say this exactly) while still making the turn to final is one of the classic high-risk scenarios. I'd much rather use whatever angle of bank is necessary in a coordinated turn than to risk ruddering it around in a shallower bank. As you point out, keeping the speed up is most important.

Chip Bearden