Old June 27th 05, 03:05 PM

Glad to inject some humor into your life.

I too am amused by the risks we accept through habituation. I regularly
take off in tailwinds exceeding 15 knots, with water, on a runway only
2,600 feet long. I'm used to it, and accept the risk as a byproduct of
where I fly. Most pilots would consider these practices insane. As a
result, I stood in a amazement at a US Nationals when pilots were
showing grave concern over the safety of a launch with less than 7
miles per hour of tail wind.

For pilots who winch launch regularly, the definition of normal flight
attitudes is greatly expanded. But I think you'll all agree that it is
a highly specialized type of flying (even if you are used to it). Pull
on the stick to go faster. Push to go slower. If the cable breaks, no
messing around... stick right forward until the nose is well below the
horizon, then ease it back gently, paying attention to your airspeed.
Abrupt control motions, significantly reduced g, large angles of nose
up and nose down, close to the ground, special considerations regarding
turns... sounds to me like a pretty threatening environment, sort of
like taking off downwind at gross from a short runway. Deserves some
special consideration. And occasional reexamination to prevent the
complacency of experience.

Chuckle.

OC