Old March 26th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Decline of Soaring Awards

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting out and doing some soaring. Anytime, anywhere. If you don't go XC on every flight, or don't set some record (even if it is in your own logbook), who cares? If you are the last to launch, after the "prime time," who cares? Getting a few hours in the air after work in mellow conditions that don't tempt you to venture far from the field is still fun. Plus, you get some safe practice in softening, end-of day lift. It's a good thing to become comfortable in conditions that might happen on your next final glide. Fly around locally, enjoy yourself. Land late and watch the Sunset. Have a beer with friends. Laugh with them about the day. (And now for a Public Service Announcement: Wash your hands before offering your buddies a beer.)

I used to love getting a late launch after work in my hang glider (6:00 pm or so, flying till the 8:30 sunset) and hanging around the LZ with some of the most fun people I ever had as friends. I wish Soaring had that same social late-in-the-evening experience to offer. It does occasionally occur, but most folks have to drive some distance home, and DWI is serious business. (It used to be a sport!) I'm lucky. I live 2 miles from the airport, and there is a great brewery on the way home. Just in case.

Just think about all the yardwork you can avoid by following some simple guidelines.