Old October 31st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Thermalling the D2

Of all the gliders I have flown or owned, the one that really seemed to
benefit from a bit of top rudder was my ASW-20. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that winglets help in thermals and reduce the need for this
little slip.

I find my D2 seems to ride on rails in thermals, probably because of
the double dihedral and winglets, and I just keep the yaw string
centered. You may find the nose-high attitude of the D2 will take some
getting used to.

Enjoy your new ship!

Mike

On Oct 30, 6:26 pm, "Fox Two" wrote:
Hi All!

I'm currently a Discus CS driver with a new D2-b coming in about 3
months from the factory. I've found that thermalling the CS with the
yaw string slightly high in the turn yields a better climb - I'm
curious to hear about thermalling techniques from the D2 veterans.

Thanks in advance!
Chris, F2