Old November 8th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

Default When do controls return to neutral?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
Is there any tendency for the control surfaces to set in positions
slightly off neutral? For example, if you have to use rudder a lot to
counter torque on every flight, is there any tendency of the rudder
over time to stay a little bit on that side?

Usage doesn't cause this. However with age sometimes a plane doesn't
fly as straight as it used to. If the plane isn't flying straight (i.e.
the ball isn't in the middle when you take your feet off the rudders)
you can adjust it. On my plane there is a bolt that adjust the throw
but a lot of planes just have metal trim tabs.
What you are asking about is referred to as "rigging" and is one of the
great dark arts in aviation. The manual will tell you how to do it but
only a few really good A&P's can really get your bird (especially a
more complex one like mine) to fly straight. Right now my plane slips
to the right about 1/2 ball when I put the gear out. Not sure why, it
didn't used to. With rigging you usually want to seek out an A&P
familiar with your plane (especially if you have rigging wires, don't
ever let a generic A&P touch rigging wires if you fly a classic).
-Robert