Old August 1st 05, 01:22 AM
Roger Worden

At our club you are not allowed to fly from the back seat unless you are
an instructor.

I would ask your club leadership to review this rule and the reasons for it.
Learning to fly from the rear seat should be part of learning to be a pilot.
With just a little instruction I see no reason why you should not fly from
the rear seat, I did well before gettign my PPG.

The visibility is a bit different, but not hard to deal with. In some ships
it also lets you see both sets of instruments, so it could be considered
MORE safe than flying from the front. And the feel of the ship may be
different (better) from the rear seat because you are closer to the CG: the
pilot rotates around the CG rather than swinging up and down out in the
nose. In some ways it may feel like you can fly more smoothly.