Old June 13th 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Grand Teton Crash

My hats off to the commercial pilots and CFI's out there that often times are the lifeblood of the glider operations. These operations depend on people walking in the door to buy a ride and the ride pilots many times take that ride on a day when the private owners, who can choose when they want to fly, would choose not to fly! These pilots fly those rides to pay the bills, to keep the customer happy, and damnit, it is business hours we are open.. These pilots are unsung, but so very important. Very rarely, one of these experienced pilots comes up against a force they did not recognize in time. My heart goes out to the families of the lost and to the pilots whom safely fly rides everyday in most conditions many would not venture.

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:22:14 PM UTC-7, Bob T wrote:
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:43:33 AM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
So sorry to read about this accident.
Does anyone know about the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
I'm curious if it was windy or stormy.

The NTSB report that came out on the Glider Bob Saunders accident in Telluride Colorado put the blame on the strong summertime stormy weather.
Apparently he was overpowered by a collapsing storm cell above him. They indicated they found nothing wrong with his Stemme motorglider.

Nick,

The day and time glider Bob went in, Loy and I were in Aztec and observed what I thought must have been the most intense / tallest OD I had ever seen over the San Jans, and figured it was probably between Purgatory and Telluride, thinking I was sure glad I wasn't flying there then. When we heard of the crash, I felt pretty sure Bob must have hit a severe downdraft shear.. I'd feel a pretty good guess would be sudden down wind shear in this latest crash.
19