Old September 2nd 03, 09:08 PM
Shin Gou

Thanks very much for the helpful and prompt replies. Here are my
answers to your questions and some follow-up questions. I hope this
thread wouldn't go toooo long.

Xin
What you want isn't what most would consider a budget plane but since
you didn't say how little you want to spent how about a murphy moose.
Lots of stability for IFR and tons of payload with a 360hp. autofeul
buning engine.

A 360hp engine using mogas? I'd be a little skeptical about using it
with confidence even if it works. What engine is it?

You might consider the Bearhawk, even though it probably has more

STOL
capability than you need. The prototype gets good performance with a
180hp lycoming and several builders have installed/are installing IFR
panels. I believe the kit company has a builders' assistance center

in
Florida.

http://www.bearhawkaircraft.com/

This one will be on my list.

Generally, you can buy a finished homebuilt for about the amount of
money that the builder put in it.

If you could find a Bearhawk or a V6 STOL, or one of the big Murphys
(the Moose or the Super Rebel) and you can afford it or finance it,
you'd be ahead.

If you want to build, build. If you want to fly, buy.

Actually, I am looking for a nice used homebuilt.

Xin,

You could consider picking up an unfinished BD-4 kit. There are some
listed at the classifieds at http://bd-4.org. This should get you a

180
MPH (on 180 HP) 2+2 for less money than with any other design. It is
proven (34 years of history), you can slap in a wide variety of power
plants and the simple construction will make it easier to fix a

damage
when you're at places like you described.

If the places you want to land are really rough a Bearhawk is the

better
alternative. The quickbuild kit runs you around $24k. Lots of space

and
payload.

Your requirements catalog reads a bit like mine when I decided to get

one
of the affordable BD-4 projects and add utility by converting it to

tail
wheel (was tri), beefing up the landing gear and making the fuselage
longer and a bit higher (mine is a true 4 seat aircraft). It has been
done by others before and flown, so I felt quite safe doing these
modifications.

Why can't you fly a certified plane in the country you are talking

about?
Which country is it anyway?

- Holger

Thanks, Holger. I've been told and have been noticing BD-4, very nice
design. But the only thing is I really prefer a builder assist
program. But BD-4 will be on my list—maybe not at the top.

I just can't fly a USED certified plane in...........China. I am from
China and work in DC now. China prohibits imports of used planes and
cars(reason? I wish I could read the government's mind. But sometimes
they are very simple, maybe just to save face.) All airspace is dual
controlled from the ground by civilian regulator and the military.
Flying a Cessna 172 or so is extremely hassle and expensive. But the
tricky thing is there's no rule upon kit or plan-built planes. Maybe
the government never thought its people would build airplanes. So if I
keep a low profile, I can fly such a plane without filing and paying a
flight plan up to one week ahead, paying for each t/o and landing,
paying for the use of airspace, paying for ATC........etc etc. But
hey, the other side of the coin of unrule is that if I **** off
someone, every government agency can kick my ass.
All right, enough whines. Here's how I think I am going to use the
plane. I live in southwest China very close to Tibet area. The
landscape in this part of the country is gorgeous, i.e. very high
mountains and deep gorges, grass land, huge desert etc everything you
can imagine ideal for hikers and photographers but tough if not
scaring for pilots and their planes. No avgas, rough fields but wide
open.
I have to admit now I am really interested in the French Dyn Aero's
MCR series, especially the bushplane and the 4-seater versions. They
are more expensive, but much faster, and highly regarded in Europe
(assuming proven design). But seems their American distributor
American Ghiles Aircraft's website is down, and I can't even find much
info. about this aircraft's flying in the US at google.

I am still open to other plane choices.

Xin