Old November 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

Default Modular Gliders

Assuming the gliders are of the same type [not a Cherokee
with Nimbus wings] then you will need to send a F337
to your local FSDO plus a logbook entry. I think this
applies both to certified and experimental aircraft.
Also to one wing or both wings being replaced.

Don't know about you, but I would certainly want the
new wing inspected before flying with it [or even before
buying it] and then annual and W+B the whole mule before
flight.

Ian

At 20:36 02 November 2006, Tony wrote:
on aircraft with removable wings, how do the regs approach
the
possibility of you using wings from some other glider
on your fuselage?
I suspect that on certified gliders, there is some
sort of serial
number associated with the wings that match it to the
glider, but how
about experimentals? Could I take some wings off someone
elses
Cherokee II and put on my fuselage and go fly? what
if those wings
hadnt had a condition inspection in the last year but
my fuselage has?
Would it be legal if the wings had had a condition
inspection? Lets
say you are landing out in your long winged certified
glider and take
out a tree with one wing. rest of glider is ok but
that one wing is
toast. Is the wing technically 'rebuilt' where the
serial number from
the busted wing is attached to a good wing?

In other news, anyone know where a Cherokee II project
is laying
around? Not for me but I know of a need for a set
of wings. Otherwise
Im consiering taking the other fuselage, bolting it
to mine and making
the worlds first two cockpit glider, similar to the
two cockpit P51
from late WWII. I figure itll be a great way to teach
other people how
to fly cross country in crappy gliders. plus when
they want to move up
in performance, i can just remove one of the fuselages.

If you havent figured it out, the season in Iowa is
pretty much over,
let the real fun begin!