Old July 23rd 03, 03:17 PM
Ryan Ferguson

Be careful, though. In some low-legged airplanes lowering the aileron just puts
the airfoil even closer to the ground. In my Pitts Special (assuming no
crosswind correction) it was best to keep the stick neutral if the rear end got
really loose. Never did ground loop it, although god knows I must have come
close a few times.

-Ryan
CFI/MEI/CFI-H

john price wrote:

Somebody answered in here somewhere that the inside wing
would try to hit the ground because the outside wing would
be generating more lift... Normally, the centrifical force tends
to tip the plane to the outside of the loop... I've done 3 so far and
have always pushed the stick to the inside of the loop to try
to keep the outside tip from dragging... So far the technique
has saved the wings....

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
"BTIZ" wrote in message
also when the "loop" starts, it is normally started by a gust of wind

on
the
tail, or a lifting of a wing, if the feet are not happy, but behind the
movement to corral the tail, the tail will come on around, the wing on

the
"outside" of the turn will move faster, create more lift, thus lifting

and
possibly dragging the inside wing tip on the ground, plus the added side
loads on the gear main tend to cause one to fold..

Does the inside or outside wing tend to hit the ground once a ground loop

is
underway? I've only done them in gliders (on purpose and by accident
off-field) but that's the result of dragging the (inside) wingtip. My

sense
is that the outside wing wants to drag the ground after the groundloop

gets
going. But I just don't know.

I'd rather land in some cross wind, then none at all, at least then

you'll
know where the trouble could be lurking... and forget tail wind

landings..
not good at all..

I gotta admit, I've never wished for any xwind!

You know what you have when it is a tail wind on both ends of the runway?

thermal at mid field.. plan to land long, get past the tailwind, through

the
thermal and into the headwind.. for a better controlled landing.

I suspect that only a glider guider would be savvy enough to recognize

this
condition in time to respond!