Old July 23rd 03, 06:22 PM
Maule Driver

Is there a connection between VDubs, Cubs, and Maules?

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
snippety snip
Driving home from Vermont in a friend's Corvair, me driving, I could
feel the front end move out from under me about every five minutes. I
was passed three times, and in every case the car that passed me wound
up in an accident a few miles farther along. In that case the Corvair
got home and they didn't, because of that early-warning system of
"black ice" on the road.

ahhhh, that's what it was, an early warning system. A quick swat to back of
the head would have sufficed.

Gosh, I had one of those, too. You're right; it never seemed to suffer
from understeer, perhaps because the passenger and the driver were
sitting on top of the front axle! As I recall the shoulder belt didn't
have an inertia reel, and if it was secured you couldn't reach the
instrument panel. So I cut mine off.

I kind of figured it was non-inertial so that you would be held firmly in
place during a head-on coup de grace. Should have cut it off too.

What did you do for heat? Not much there when new. Less in a couple of
years of salt corrosion. Auxiliary gas heater was great if you added it.
Almost died in mine due to lack of heat but that's another long story.

My wife and I drove to California and back, sitting out there on the
front axle, with our daughter in a basket between the two seats.
Yikes.

I ripped the seats, installed speakers, curtains, and a big bean bag chair.
I otherwise take the 5th.

We were all young and foolish once.... but sure had fun!