Old August 16th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Collision alert!

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:13:56 +0000 (UTC), Alan Gerber
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:
If he was less than 3,000' AGL, he was in compliance with the
hemispherical regulation, and being on your left, he had the
right-of-way.

That doesn't sound right, er, correct. Wouldn't the aircraft on the right
have the right of way?

Oops. Of course you are correct about the aircraft on the right
having the right of way.

4,500' would be an appropriate altitude for a westbound VFR aircraft.

Yes, except the OP was at an altitude assigned by Departure in the Class B
airspace.

I had failed to infer from Mr. Copeland's narrative, that both
aircraft were within Class B airspace at the time. His later follow
up post confirmed that fact.

What do you feel the other pilot did wrong?

Fly NORDO in Class B airspace?

... Alan

While operating within Class B airspace without an operative
transponder is possible (I've done it), I believe it is also possible
to operate NORDO if prior arrangements have been made or if radio
failure should occur while cleared in Class B airspace. So, while it
is likely the unidentified aircraft was in violation of regulations,
there does exist a possibility he was legally operating NORDO in Class
B airspace.

Thanks for your input.