Old August 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

Default Collision alert!

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:31:56 +0000, Larry Dighera wrote:

If the NORDO aircraft's transponder was not in operation, it begs the
question, how did ATC know its altitude? It is possible the
controller's "with no squawk" statement may have meant the NORDO
aircraft was not squawking an assigned beacon code, but 1200 or 7600,
or, more likely, it could have meant there was no beacon being
transmitted from the NORDO aircraft. ATC's statement is a bit
ambiguous.

Agreed.

Would it make you feel better if I said it happened about 15-minutes into
flight. [?] I had throttled back waiting for clearance.

It would have made the situation much clearer if you had definitely
stated that both aircraft were within Class B airspace.

I thought it was implied as I lead in with the fact I was entering class
bravo. I guess not.

Shesh. I think some may be over analyzing...a lot!

How is over analysis possible? The prudent pilot considers as many
factors as possible, right?

You don't think it's over analyzing, trying to infer an aircraft position
based on a **very loose** time of travel ("some 20 minutes or so earlier")
while making many assumptions? In my book, not only is the time of travel
irrelivant to the story, attempting to infer an aircraft position based on
what is obviously a very imprecise estimate of time, most definately is
"over analyzing." Add to the fact this is after the fact, I fail to see
how post-analysis of irrelevant data while making broad assumptions is
anything but "over analyzing".

If you don't think so, we have very different definitions.

[snip]
Please don't take this personal critizum. It was merely an attempt to
objectively scrutinize all the possibilities, and stands as an example
of how it might be viewd by an ALJ.

Fair enough.

Greg