Old December 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default OLC North America

On Dec 10, 8:57 am, "Dan" wrote:
Anyone know how to navigate the new OLC?
All I can get is OLC Worldwide, I can't seem to make it display just
North America.

Works OK for me... It does have a habit of reverting back to worldwide
a lot - perhaps it's not using cookies effectively?

Also seem to have a lot of trouble with the calendar. I have to go
back and forward to make it show results for the current day. Also the
calendar is somewhat tricky.

Yes, it seems to have no "memory" for one's time zone (cookies again),
so in the USA, if it's evening, it's already tomorrow to the OLC. The
calendar app has a problem with ging back a day in this case, so the
solution is tt go back a month, then forward and all is well. I really
miss the buttons on the main meny that let you go back & forward a day
at a time.

I really enjoy the OLC, I sure hope it is running better by next
season.

Overall, in the last few weeks, it's gotten to the point that, for me,
it's close to the functionality of last year's. One can now click
onthe pilot's name or takeoff site and get a list of all flights for
that item. It's reall starting to get quite good.

As a software developer myself, I understand the challenge of putting
together a website such as this with a huge dynamic content. How many
of us would have volunteered to test this new version "offline" to get
the bugs out? Probably not enough to really wring it out. So they did
the next best thing, and just "forced" it on us and we had to suffer a
little through the growing pains.

What is critical to making this a better product is good problem
reporting by the users back to the developers. And unfortunately, it
seems this forum is the only obvious place to do that at this time. I
see nothing on the OLC website for user feedback. This shoud be an
open forum such as SeeYou has. Users can post their wishes and
troubles openly. Then the developers should reply in a timely fashion.
But at the same time other users can perhaps offer solutions, or just
chime in with "me too", so the problem or feature is identified as
popular.

-Tom