Old June 20th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

Default Gloom

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can pick your statement apart the same way. Obviously we're referring
to priorities in cartoon form. It is the purpose of business to provide
for a good way of life (for all), not the other way around. Often those
who are already battling alligators in the swamp forget this, and see
business as its own justification. This thinking leads to the strip
malling of America.

That was my only point.

Sorry, we jumped from micro to macro here, and I didn't keep up.

In the larger sense, I certainly agree with you. However, it's easy
to make the point that there really is no "macro-economics" -- our
economy is really just a bunch of individuals trying to make the best
possible decisions for their families.

In the end, THAT can result in the "strip-malling of America" -- but I
haven't heard of any better alternatives to capitalism.

Families do tend to complicate things. I've met an awful lot of happy
single people that used to be unhappy, until they changed careers to do what
they wanted to do. I've met an awful lot of unhappy people with families
that couldn't change careers because they had a family to support.

On another subject, demographics, the following was posted to
rec.aviation.homebuilt. It is great news, but kinda demonstrates the
graying of GA...

"It is a real pleasure to announce that one of our local EAA
homebuilders, Frank Varnum, made his first flight in his new RV4. N13MJ's
first flight was uneventful. No leaks. No problems.
Frank, 90 years old, and his little brother Gordon, 87, built the RV
over the last several years. No beginner, Frank has about 25,000 hrs, and
started his airline career as a co-pilot in a Boeing Flying boat for Pan Am.
I think he was flying 707's across the pond when he retired, about the time
I graduated from 6th grade. He is a kick to talk to. The EAA flight advisor
that did the safety brief is 88. (as an aside, the flight advisor was chief
instructor for the Army Air Corp, at Luke Field during the war, while my
father was there as a cadet)
I have a couple of pictures, but so far have been unable to get them to
post to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. I'll keep trying, and let you know."