Old February 1st 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default Short review of the Dell Streak with XCSoar

On Feb 1, 8:59*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Hi, * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have decided to buy a Dell Streak 5" for XCSoar, replacing my old
iPaq hx4700. *It runs with Android, not Windows CE. *We will release a
"stable" version of XCSoar for Android in March or April 2011, and
this switch to Android in my own glider will give me some more
motivation to make our Android version more mature. *XCSoar is
available for free on the Android Market.

The Streak arrived today, and I've installed XCSoar on it. *As
expected, it is faster than my old HTC Magic. *The CPU is a modern 1
GHz Snapdragon ARM chip, with good OpenGL support.

*http://max.kellermann.name/gallery/f..._1024x768.html

The Streak is bigger than PDAs, but not a lot. *5 inch is just the
right size for the cockpit. *Mobile phones are too small, and tablets
are too large.

The display is a transflective TFT, which looks pretty bright. *The
weather is overcast today in Germany, no direct sunlight to test with.
At normal daylight, it looks much brighter than a hx4700 and a Dell
Axim x51v. *It is comparable to the Altair display, but one needs to
consider that the Altair has an antireflective display, while the
Streak seems like a mirror - applying an anti-glare layer will reduce
its brightness slightly.

*http://max.kellermann.name/gallery/f..._1024x768.html

The Streak has a high-resolution display (800x480, same as the LX Mini
Map and iPaq 31x). *The Altair has 320x240, and the other PDAs on the
photo have 640x480. *An Oudie is limited to 480x272. *I would not go
below 640x480, and 800x480 feels comfortable.

The display is capable of multi-touch. *XCSoar doesn't have
multi-touch yet, but we will eventually implement that.

More pictures:http://max.kellermann.name/gallery/fliegen/streak/

Max

Look forward to your report when the sun returns, Max.