Old February 2nd 04, 11:00 PM
Henry Bibb

Just a caution on the Harbor Freight rivnut tool. I found the #6 mandrel
included with mine was undersized, and would not engage the threads of
the #6 rivnuts well enough to crimp them. The #8 worked fine*; I haven't
tried the other sizes. Just something to look out for if you're planning on
using #6s.

*By working fine, I mean it pulled some righteous brand-name RivNuts.
The #6 didn't work with either the HF or brand-name ones. A dial
caliper vs a screw checker revealed the undersizing issue. It just pulled
the thread out of the rivnut. Actually, just pulled the crest of the
thread,
since the mandrel didn't reach all the way to full thread depth.

Henry Bibb

Rich S. wrote:

The tube frame for the Emeraude canopy uses rivnuts (metric thread of

course
)) which work well. Harbor Freight has a nut rivet kit for $13.00 which
might work for occasional use.

Rich S.