Old April 21st 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default hard wax application

On Apr 20, 8:43�am, Tuno wrote:
I've never used hard wax before, but since the factory recommends it
on the gelcoat, I'm going to give it a try. I just have no clue how to
go about it. (My Google search results are great -- for hair removal!)

I have a Makita 0-3000rpm variable speed polisher, a brick of hard
wax, and a mandrel and other accessories I got from the dealer. Is
there a technique writeup on the web somewhere?

~ted/2NO

You need a special buffing wheel and a lot of patience. I started on
a Pegasus wing and about half way through I figured there had to be an
easier way. I tried 3M Finesse-It II and was much happier with the
application and finish. Everything that's been said is right on but
I'll add that the hard bar stuff is abrassive and designed for
finishes that are in rough shape. Since it's a cutting material you
would not want to apply it to a new glider's gel coat.

Mike