Old September 14th 05, 06:46 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You need the ability to turn off the xponder inflight. One day I was
flying along and ATC called and asked me if anything was wrong. I said
everything is fine, why do you ask? They told me my xponder was
transmitting 7700. I looked at the xponder and confirmed that was NOT
what I have set - they said please turn it off - so I did.

When I'm on the ground, I set my xponder to standby, not off.

One other possible scenario: what if the transponder develops a short? Unless
you have a dedicated circuit breaker, you've got to have a way to take it our of
the loop.... otherwise it's fly around without ANY electrical device (turn off
the master).

Every electric device needs an on-off switch.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE