Old August 17th 05, 04:52 PM
Grumman-581

Not true in my area (near SFO). Both Byron (C83) and Rio Vista (O88)
moved within the last decade, or maybe just a bit longer.

I've encountered one airport in my travels that moved... Ruston, LA
built a new airport a couple miles to the east... Initially, it had a
different identifier, but once it was complete and they have moved
everything from the old airport, they gave the new airport the old
airport's identifier and closed the old airport...

A more common occurance is just identifier changes to reflect new
naming standards or whatever... My Northstar LORAN has a 10-ish year
old database in it and it works quite well for me... Sometimes I have
to look up what the old identifier for an airport might have been, but
it doesn't happen often... On one airport that I was going to, it
wasn't in the database, but I figured that I could find it anyway... I
was on Flight Following and when I told the FAA the name and identifier
of the airport, Razorback Approach didn't even have it listed in their
database... It was listed at Airnav though... End result was that I
found the airport, refueled, and continued my trip -- no big deal...