Old July 17th 04, 08:02 PM
Philip Sondericker

in article , Dudley
Henriques at wrote on 7/17/04 11:35 AM:

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message

The problem with any discussion of tort reform or "frivolous" lawsuits

is
that nobody is ever willing to get into specifics. No one's willing to
define what "frivolous" actually means (aside, of course, from the

fact that
it's never THEIR lawsuit) , or what percentage of lawsuits they

consider to
be so.

Well, how about it? Anyone willing to submit some actual hard data?

Let's
get specific for once--what percentage of lawsuits are "frivolous"?

And what
are your precise criteria for determining their frivolity? Remember,

no
anecdotes allowed--I don't wanna hear about the McDonald's coffee

lady.
Let's see some numbers.

Forcing people to produce specifics that they have no access to isn't
the way to deal with this issue. The fact is that a definition of
"frivolous" can't actually be determined since it's subject to
individual interpretation. Who's to say what is frivolous and what's
not? That's the beauty of the lawyer's position; a position BTW that you
have presented so deftly here I might add :-)

Thank you. So, how can we expect to ever enact any kind of meaningful tort
reform if we can't even come up with a definition of what needs to be
reformed? And if forcing people to be more specific is not the answer, then
what is? Being vague?