Old December 18th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default USS Midway Museum

I visited the USS Midway museum a few days ago in San Diego, thanks to the
discussion here.

That is a beautifully preserved ship. The volunteers have done a great job
with her. I asked a docent about a few off-limits areas. He said that the
Admiral's quarters should be open to the public in about a year, and they're
hoping to get CIC open as well, but have to deal with PCB issues.

I spent about 3.5 hours walking around and I imagine that when the other
areas are open, it could take a lot longer to see everything.

The planes are beautifully restored. Only downside is that they're a little
light on older aircraft. No Spad, for instance, and they could use some
other Korea era aircraft as well. Also, a Seahawk would be a nice addition.