Old March 23rd 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2007 US Contest Rules

On Mar 23, 5:57 am, Peter Purdie
wrote:
And, by the way, how are the SSA rules handling sailplanes
with electric self launch capablity, since there are
not any IGC flight recorders capable of detecting Antares
20E engine operation?

We did some initial tests with the Volkslogger, and it easily
showed the noise level from self-launch (though its quiet enough
the headset is not really needed). We didn't fool around with
measurement of low power levels yet, but the prop noise is probably
enough at least for the Volkslogger. The 20E is a pusher and it
makes a bit of whop-whop-whop noise, I think from the prop
hitting the wake of the pylon.

Perhaps John Good and Rick Sheppe can comment as they
did the Seniors scoring and looked at this more than I.

Anyway, we'll figure something out...

See ya, Dave