Old January 17th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Strange 747/Pratt & Whitney project

On Jan 16, 12:23*pm, Tech Support wrote:

Ricky

A couple of WAGs.

1. Use PT-6 turbo prop to help take offs with max gross, hot day and
high altitude field.

2. Make normal 4 engine take off and at cruise altitude start PT-6
turbo prop and shut two engines down. This config would save a lot of
fuel and help bottom line.

3. New version of PT-6 and 747 airframe used as test bed. Qualify
another (bigger) engine for UAV use to carry heavier load.

4.Testing at high altitude for possible use on UAV .

Do you know the project or just fishing for possibilities )

Big John

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:22:29 -0800 (PST), Ricky

wrote:

We are installing a PT-6 on the top or on the nose of a 747! Can't
tell you where or what company.
Can you figure out why we would be doing such a thing?
Doesn't a 747 go much faster than anything running a PT-6?
We really don't know why this project is happening so I would
appreciate hearing your guesses.

Thanks,

Ricky- Hide quoted text -

The testbed sounds plausible since this 747 is being fitted with a
new, uncertified Pratt turbine engine for testing.

I do know the project as last night I was doing layout on one of the
doublers that wrap practically all the way around the plane aft of the
cockpit.

Ricky