Old January 17th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Strange 747/Pratt & Whitney project

On Jan 17, 3:20*pm, wrote:

*But why would they use a airplane the size of a 747 to test a PT6?
Even a big PT6's power is tiny compared to the 747's thrust.

You know, Dan, that's exactly why I posted this. Although I'm working
on the mod, the company I work for is hush hush about the reasoning
behind what they are doing.
I do know that one of the 747's engines will be replaced with another
engine for testing & possible certification. I also know this short-
body 747 is a bone yard rescue, very old (I was sitting in the pilot's
seat during a break & everything is ancient up there), and will have
several projects/modifications hanging onto it at various times.

We also know that somewhere, either on the nose or directly above/
aside the lounge, there will be a PT-6 mounted. I do know that larger
versions of the PT-6 (PT-6C) produce 1600-2300 shaft horse power but
why a 747 mount is beyond my ability to comprehend.
My thinking is that the speed of a 747 is so much faster than anything
running a PT-6 that this project sounds unreasonable.
There's gotta be a good reason otherwise Pratt wouldn't be spending
the millions on the project they are. & I will fish around at work
until I find out. Hopefully I can get a picture or two with the thing
on the nose. Won't THAT look interesting?!

It'll be kinda like the photo I have of a Beech Baron my dad worked on
developing that had a third engine mounted on the nose.

Ricky