Old December 14th 03, 06:38 PM
Newps

Joe Young wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
news:0PwCb.36817$8y1.157775@attbi_s52...

That's exactly what I do. I started with one glue on pad. In the
unheated hangar I was in at the time it didn't get my oil warm enough.
So I put a second one on next to the first. Now, with a Kennon nose
mitten on, the oil gets to and stays at 100F. Each CHT and EGT gets to
and stays at 80F. So for $35 for each pad I laugh at the fools who
spend $150+ for the exact same thing because Reiff, Tanis, etc put "FAA
approved" on the box. It apparently never occurs to anybody that the
words "FAA Approved" mean exactly nothing. What a bunch of lemmings.

I truly hope you are never ramp checked or worse yet have an accident where
the insurance company will not payoff because the aircraft is not airworthy.
Tractor parts are simply not legal on certified aircraft. Risking the value
of your aircraft for a few dollars seems to be foolish at a minimum.
Lemmings indeed.........

Since a glue on oil pan heater is not considered to be "installed" there
are no airworthiness issues. There's nothing to hide from the FAA, this
is the way it is done in cold climates. In fact the FAA is fully aware,
our local FSDO is the one who said to make sure you route the cord
away from the throttle cable. I bring my cord up to the oil door on my
182, others run it down to the cowl flap.