Old May 25th 04, 05:58 AM
Greg Copeland

On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:36:03 +0000, Carl Frisk wrote:

There is actually quite a bit of software out there that will shrink the registry by removing deleted and broken
registry links. If anyone can't find it I'll dig out URL's and post them.

The problem with those is that many can not be trusted to reliably
function and it's not uncommon for them to break applications. Some
systems (and it's applications) work great with them. Other systems,
start to fail is strange and odd ways without easily identified causes.

For these reasons, I would never recommend such a tool to anyone other
than a power user or a non-power user without dedicated desktop support
willing to wade in deep to troubleshoot. I can't stress enough the need
for a proper registry backup, in the event that a user decides to go down
this path.

In short, use with caution!

After all that, that only addresses the issue of an ever growing registry
and associated performance issues. It does not address general registry
corruption. Having said, the use of these applications have been a known
cause for computer user happiness.

In short, use with caution!

Cheers!