Old May 29th 15, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Info boxes when thermalling?

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:27:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:30:56 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 8:35:06 AM UTC-7, Blake Seese 3Y wrote:
Hello All,

I am interested in what information other pilots feel is most important when thermalling.

Thanks,

Blake 3Y

The old Winpilot had, and continues to have to this day, the best thermaling display. It switches to that display when you want it, switches back when you don't, automatically. Displays a scrolling graph of average climb with lines representing both the Mc setting and average climb of the day as reference. It depicts the climb around the circle as a tilted, rotating 3D cylindrical graph, at a glance you get a complete picture of the thermal. It inserts a correction vector on the graph indicating which direction, and how much to correct. It is quite accurate even in very trashy conditions. It also animates the Flarm targets around the cylinder (which shows their relative position and altitude) for excellent situational awareness of traffic in the thermal. Nothing in SYM, XCSoar, iGlide, or (sadly) the new iOS Winpilot even comes close.

fitch, you elaborated precisely why I'm still flying Winpilot Pro on an Avier. Have always felt like the climb maximizer is my 'secret weapon'. When comparing flights in the same airmass with my peers, I find that I have the highest average climb rates (not when John Cochrane is around).

I might be still using too it but it is not supported and no longer works with the Butterfly vario.

I have found the Winpilot assistant often as good as the results of my full attention, and always nearly as good. This allows much more time to study the weather, course, eat lunch, and contemplate the world. It requires no more than a glance every circle or so.

Here is my test for a thermal assistant: While my engine is folded back but not stowed - its cool down period - the tail triple probe pneumatics are subject to severe turbulence from the engine, bay doors, and prop. The vario needle will swing rapidly and continuously from stop to stop. I have a spare vario hooked to the fuselage static and can use that, but it is uncompensated. However, using the Winpilot thermal assistant interpreting this noisy signal, and following it's correction suggestion, I can reliably center a thermal about as well as anyone. I have tried that with SYM, XCSoar, and iGlide and they are hopeless.