Old December 10th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:08:41 +0000, Kiwi User wrote:

I've found out a little more about that Ho S.IV. It seems to have been
taken to Farnborough by the Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE)'s Enemy
Aircraft Flight. These were the British equivalent of Rechlin and NACA.

Minor correction: I meant that the RAE was approximately equivalent to
Rechlin or NACA and Edwards.

The Enemy Aircraft Flight was a similar gang to Watson's Whizzers. They
knew each other and worked together and were known to exchange aircraft
on occasion because they operated in different parts of Germany and
surrounding countries. For instance, the only flyable Arado 2324s were in
Denmark and northern Germany, so all of the ones now in the USA were
collected by the EAF. Two were then given to WW in exchange for letting
Eric Brown interview Goering and I think one or two others were passed on
by Farnborough.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie