Old December 11th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

At 17:08 10 December 2017, Kiwi User wrote:

Most interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. On a closer look, I see

exactly what you mean about that horrid lump of block foam that
passes for a subfin, but there's not enough detail to see how bad the
tip is - except that they haven't bothered to make and fit ailerons.

It looks like someone may have tried to make the tips "all flying"
control surfaces, as they appear to be skewed off axis somehow.
Also, IIRC, those are elevons (not ailerons) that are missing. IIRC,
the Ho-IV used a system whereby an outboard spoiler was
separately deployed on one wing (or the other) for roll and yaw
control. (in addition to the elevons)

Eric Brown flew it several times while it was at Farnborough as part

of a tailless research project. He liked it and especially to 'praying
mantis' pilot position.

Dad found the praying mantis position ok, except for when he was
at the end of a long flying day, and his beard stubble started to
become irritated by the chin rest.

I can see that that odd yoke is tilted for roll control,

but what about elevator - do the handles link to that by rotating the
tube they're mounted on? Similarly, I can see the tow release at the
front of the canopy but have no idea where the airbrake and trim
controls might be.

To be quite honest, I was 1-1/2 years old when Dad flew the 1952
nationals. I was left at home with friends. I never got to look at
a Ho IV cockpit with Dad in my adult life, so I can't answer your
questions. I'm sure that the fellow(s) who precisely rebuilt a
Ho IV a few years ago in Germany can answer those questions
though.

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/H...s/ho_iv/ho_iv_
Restoration/body_ho_iv_restoration.html

Anyway, Philip Wills ended up owning one of the Weihes and flying

it for two years before he sold it to Dick Georgeson in NZ, who used
it for his early explorations of mountain wave on the Southern Alps.
He flew it for what I believe was the first significant XC in wave
(1953) when he flew it from Christchurch to Dunedin, getting Gold
height in the process and missing Gold distance by just 3km due to
being released a bit too far south.

Dad made one or two 500 Km flights in the Ho IV during the 1952
nationals. That finished his Diamond badge. (#1 Germany, #10
International)...He was still a German citizen at the time, and did
not pick up his USA citizenship until a few years later, although
that did not stop the SSA/USA from also claiming his badge,
awarding him USA #6....

RO