Old February 16th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 6:32:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 6:21:22 AM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am trying to get away from the surge brakes and has anyone converted their trailer to electric brakes?? Thanks

But why change a simple and entirely appropriate device against something complex and in need of fine-tuning (laden vs. empty trailer)? Fix or adjust your surge brakes (Spindelberger website has details) and you'll be fine. Nobody in Europe has electric brakes on glider trailers.

The problem with keeping the Komet system is the availability of parts in the U.S. My brake system has been inop since I've owned the trailer and as BobW have found no issues even with heavy braking. I have thought of converting to the more modern axle-less system and electric brakes.