Old January 13th 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Too many GPS puck antennas

Ya got me there, Eric!Â* It's been decades since I've not seen mountains.

On 1/12/2020 9:26 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 1/12/2020 8:27 AM:
....or just look at the section lines on then ground.Â* If the sun is
shining, it's pretty easy to guess the cardinal directions.

On 1/11/2020 8:58 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Charles Longley wrote on 1/11/2020 6:59 PM:
Pfft compass what’s that? Look out the canopy.

Not a good option in Kansas! You are spoiled by flying where there
are mountains to guide you. In Kansas, look at the GPS track when
you want to know direction. Or pull out your iPhone, and use the
compass app.

If the sun is shining around noon or even somewhat later, it's mostly
overhead. It's really easy to pop out of a thermal and head off at 90
degrees to course.

--
Dan, 5J