Old January 14th 20, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 05:50:51 UTC+2, Rob wrote:
Over the weekend, I tried again in Standard Cirrus and surprise, I actually fit. I'd have to adjust the headrest, but it actually worked. I also tried to sit in ASW-24 and I'd have to alter the panel so my knees fit.

I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom shared here. By all means, please keep it coming.

I'm quite tall and have had a lot of problems fitting in different gliders over the years. First step usually is to take out any seatback and cushions in the glider. Wear shoes designed for race car drivers, they are like leather socks with very thin soles. If this doesn't help, it's time to cut instrument panel, increasing leg openings helps a lot. And the last resort is to get a parachute you can install on hat shelf of glider. Just talked to 6'10" glider pilot last week, he has to do all these little modifications but can fly.