Old January 14th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:24:23 -0800, cernauta wrote:

Modifications of the instrument panel can do a lot to help tall pilots
fit in some cockpits. For example, the ASK21 with a much higher cut of
the panel in the knee area should accommodate up to 2,05m tall pilots.

On a related point, something I've noticed but not seen anybody else
commenting on is that as an ASK-21 gets older, the panel droops a bit.

Its chiefly noticeable as a gap of anything up to 8-10mm appearing
between the top of the front seat panel and the glare shield. There's no
noticeable gap in a new one, but our oldest one, which was in the club
when I joined in March 2000, now has a quite obvious gap and so does at
least one of the '21s at Portmoak. I don't know why this happens unless
the panel is shockmounted and the mounting settles/droops as it gets
older.

I'm not a taller pilot but I don't have functional ankles, so can only
fly a '21 with the pedals nearly right back so I can put my feet on the
top of the pedals and the panel on our older '21 gets in the way when I
do this. Its evidently a variation on the problem that taller pilots can
have fitting into a '21..

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org