Old January 15th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Winter Gliding

JJ, thats the very same little sand patch that I made my first off field landing!

I was 15 years old and on my second ever flight in a “high performance” ship, a pilatus B4 lol. That 33/1 was heaven after flying a 1-26 the previous couple of years. It was a relatively weak day and I was trying to work my way to the higher ground of the pine nuts. I was getting pretty low and things were getting a little desperate. Along came Marcel Goudinat about 1500 ft above me, and in his heavy swiss accent he called me telling me I might want to set up for a land out on that sand strip that was right below me lol. I set her up and put her down there, having to walk all the way back to the airport to get my brother and our rickety trailer to haul her home.

Good old memories!

Dan