Old January 18th 20, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 10:46:02 PM UTC-5, Rob wrote:
I've been reading tall pilot threads here from a few years back, and I wanted to start a new thread. I'm 6'7" 230 lbs with a bit of a taller torso and I'm on the lookout for a glider. I've noticed that legroom isn't usually an issue, but with many gliders, closing the canopy is a problem.

I've been doing my training in a Blanik L-23 and I can fit OK, not the best, but no issues with the training. I've tried to fit in the ASK-21, no way. I'm wondering if I can fit in the G103 so I can go to a commercial operation and finish my rating.

So far, I fit in the following:

L-33 Solo - very comfortably I might add. I've been doing my solo work in one.
PW-5 - very comfortable. Haven't flown one yet.

Ideally, I'd like to do cross country and earn badges. I was talked out of these two because they're not the best performers for cross country and I received what seems to be a solid advice to keep looking for something I'd be happier with longer term, so here we go.

Jantar Std 3 seems like a good fit. Can't find many for sale.
LS-3A is a good fit, but would likely need a very thin parachute. I would presume LS-4 is a good fit as well.
Mosquito was a little tight.
Standard Cirrus - could not close the canopy with all the cushions out too. That was a bummer.
DG-300 and 500 seemed like a good fit.
PIK-20 - could not close the canopy.
G102 - could not close the canopy.
Discus - could not close the canopy.

If I hit the lottery, I'd be all over an Arcus M - fantastic fit, beautiful ship and a decimal place out of my price range. Ideally, I'm looking for something in the 15-25k range. Anyone selling?

My brother owns a Jantar Std 3. He bought it new and has owned it for years.. I flew it a couple of times. I think a 250 lb person at 8' tall could fit.. I'm 6'-0" and with the seat back I could barely reach the instrument panel. I think he might sell. Let me know and I will inquire.

Gary
ASW27b
"SQ"