Old August 5th 03, 02:50 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Lawrence Dillard" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier
deployments were named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if
so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

There are lists of deployments he

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf

There was no numbering or naming scheme per se. Battlegroups are named for
the carrier around which they are formed, and each deployment is usually
described by its dates and destination, but the latter is unofficial. One
might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968 Westpac (western pacific)
cruise but I odn't think there was any official code name for sequence
number for that deployment.

I'll leave it to someone else to figure out whaich was the final Vietnam
deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt ways to decide that (last combat
missions, last overflights, etc.)

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)