Old August 13th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

Default (Photo) Su-24 Flanker or MiG-23/MiG-27?

On Aug 13, 4:07*am, wrote:
SU-24 = F-111

sure, it has exactly the same role

still in use, being (very) slowly replaced by Su-34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-34

Yuri

Su-34 is pretty cool, Wikipedia mentions it and the Su-25 as the only
armored atack aircraft in production, I guess they applied some of the
Su-25 and A-10 lessons to it (As well as the IL-2 Sturmovik
background.) It's a bit like a F-15E mission-wise, but different too.
(Especially with the maritime stuff.)

I wouldn't be suprised if the Su-24 stayed in service in some numbers
even after the Su-34 starts getting out in deployment, it is quite
capable. I wonder if surplus Su-24s would have any buyers? It's still
quite a capable plane.

I'm guessing Russia won't be exporting the Su-34 anytime soon?

The F-111 is still in use with the Australians, they're probably
replacing it with F/A-18, though it certainly is a useful and unique
aircraft.