Old May 21st 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New vario by LXNAV

On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 15:55:56 UTC+1, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
The LXNAV V7 also has the sensors. I have a beta firmware that I am testing.

Are you absolutely sure about that? The LX page only mentions a acceleration sensor in the vario, but it does not talk about gyros or a compass anywhere. I guess if the sensors were there then the marketing would have mentioned them to increase the perceived value.

I had a look at the V80 at the BGA conference and a brief chat about the pros and cons of using it with an LX9000. The V9 vario(V5 replacement that is discussed on the LX 8000 + 9000 pages but for some reason not announced otherwise by LXNav) has the full complement of gyro and accelerometer sensors within it so I was told that there is no particular reason to fit a V80 with an LX 8/9000 instead of a V9 unless one particularly wants to have a separate AHRS display from the main display. The AHRS function is now a firmware upgrade instead of a separate sensor box.

None of the LX Nav varios has an integral magnetometer which is just as well IMHO given the difficulties in getting a useable compass display in the panel given the accuracy that they require to give good wind information or to be integrated into an inertial measurment unit. LXNav doesn't seem to be selling the remote compass unit now and although they refer to using it with their new stand alone AHRS instrument so I don't know whether they expect customers to buy the LX Navigation compass instead(??)