Old August 7th 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default World Championship gliders

Hi Glen, I agree but only to a point. Its a bummer knowing that you are in a glider that is "slightly" less performance than the others. For example, if a guy in a a model beats a b model in a contest by 1 point, does he really feel that he has won? Or a 29 vs a 27 in 15m? Is the 29 better?

One design would level this and make a better sport of it!

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:54:50 AM UTC-4, glen wrote:
On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:43:42 AM UTC-6, Tom Knauff wrote:

I suppose this subject must have been posted before, however, as I review the world championship daily results, it is obvious the smaller fuselage models have a distinct advantage over gliders many average to larger size pilots are obliged to fly.

A smaller fuselage means each wing length is longer. Of course, the wetted area of the smaller fuselage is also significantly less.

Perhaps the rules need to limit the length of each wing rather than the wing span.

Those pilots of typical average size will always be at a measurable disadvantage, and this is a discouraging factor to those who might be interested in participating in competition flying.

I wonder if racing canoes in the Olympics are permitted to be smaller for smaller people?

Tom Knauff

It's the Indian, not the Arrow!!

Glen