Old August 17th 15, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

At 20:05 17 August 2015, Dan Stroschine wrote:
Speaking as a pre-solo student with aspirations of doing XC I love the
idea=
of creating at least a couple of levels. I don't know if we'd have

enough
=
contestants to fill six at my club, but at least a couple would work.=20

At our club there are some accomplished XC pilots that are incredibly

nice
=
and giving with knowledge. But the idea of 'competing' with them on a

task
=
that is designed to be challenging to them is quite intimidating. Of
course=
I wouldn't expect to be at or close the bottom but if I don't have the
exp=
erience I might not have a good idea as to my (or my planes) limits so

the
=
chances of me landing out trying because I thought I could make it would
in=
crease a lot.=20

It would be great to have a task that would challenge me (and other
inexper=
ienced XC'ers) without making it too easy for the competent ones. This
coul=
d be a subset of turn points that make up a larger task. The more
experienc=
ed groups progressively have more turn points/areas...

just my 0.5c

Dan

This is exactly what handicap distance tasks where designed to, and do,
achieve