Old March 22nd 09, 09:05 AM posted to sci.astro,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default Russia to approve new Moon rocket

On Mar 21, 7:21 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article , Yousuf Khan
wrote:

BradGuth wrote:
On Mar 17, 12:49 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Bluuuue Rajah wrote:
This will mark the first time since 1964 that the Russian space
programme has made the Moon its main objective.
I wonder if they'll actually make it to the Moon this time around?

Yousuf Khan

Are you suggesting those Russians are incapable, or just stupid?

Just incapable, since they never made it up there in the 1960's. This
would be pioneering work for them, as they've never had any *nauts touch
down on another heavenly body yet. They've just gone up and down from
near-Earth orbit, or they've launched unmanned explorers and satellites.

Yousuf Khan

It took a lot of effort to design, build and test the SaturnV/Apollo
system.

The Russians apparently attempted to get by on the cheap in their
unsuccessful very heavy lift rocket in the 1960s.

Not sure cheap is the word. The philosophy looks good
at the outset, but the plumbing is a nighmare.

From published
reports, it appears that they suffered from base heating and, possibly,
engine detonation.

I doubt the Russians ever figured it out, otherwise they
would have fixed it. Maybe resonant vibration in the
plumbing.
Ken