Old November 30th 04, 11:43 PM
Mitchel Gossman

Default Small airport cold-weather starting - Tanis good enough?

OK, so you fly your 4-cylinder Lycoming to a small airport in cold
weather, and if your plane is like mine (Archer O-360), starting in
frigid weather without preheat or an hour in a warm hangar is nearly
impossible. I haven't ever flown to an airport where there was not an
FBO with a hangar or preheat to bail me out, but now I need to.

Question: Is it enough to wrap the blanket around the cowl and plug in
the Tanis even though the plane is sitting outside with the cold wind?
How often do airports offer this?

MV Gossman